· THE MEDIAN income for the New Orleans area was $29,000. The median income in neighborhoods where bodies of Katrina victims were found was $27,000.
· One-fourth of the area's residents lived in Census tracts where the median income was $37,000 or higher. One-fourth of deaths attributed to Katrina occurred in Census tracts where the median income was above $35,300.
· Thirty-nine percent of New Orleans residents lived in neighborhoods where the poverty rate was higher than 30 percent. Forty-two percent of the bodies were recovered in those neighborhoods.
· Thirty percent of residents lived in neighborhoods where the poverty rate stood below 15 percent. Thirty-one percent of the bodies turned up there.
· In Orleans Parish, blacks made up 66 percent of the total population, and 62 percent of the victims of Katrina.
· In St. Bernard Parish, whites made up 88 percent of the residents, and 92 percent of the victims of Katrina.
· Men made up about 51 percent of the pre-Katrina population of New Orleans, and about 51 percent of the victims of the storm.
Hat tip: Robert Higgs