More Timely Than Ever!

Monday, June 15, 2009

A Palestinian State .... If

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says the Palestinians can have their own country ... if, if, if, and if. See details here.

Reminds me of the story philosopher Norman Malcolm told about Wittgenstein:
When in very good spirits he would jest in a delightful manner. This took the form of deliberately absurd or extravagant remarks uttered in a tone, and with the mien, of affected seriousness. On one walk he "gave" me each tree that we passed, with the reservation that I was not to cut it down or do anything to it, or prevent the previous owners from doing anything to it: with those reservations they were henceforth mine.
Cross-posted at @TAC and Liberty & Power.

5 comments:

Gary Chartier said...

The obvious reservatious about the value of states for anyone obviously apply. But, with those reservations in place: three cheers, Sheldon! Very much on point.

Sheldon Richman said...

Gary, of course I agree. I am judging this within the current context.

steven said...

Sheldon, what exactly does Netanyahu mean by demilitarized Palestinian state? Does it mean they are not allowed to have a military?

Gary Chartier said...

I presume Netanyahu means precisely that. He gets to have one of the world's most powerful military organizations, but his neighbors don't.

Unknown said...

I know I am responding late to this, and things have changed since July, still I just discovered your blog. I agree that words are wasted if there is nothing to back them up, and Palestinians must be tired of talk alone. I did recently see a good Charlie Rose interview with Walter Isaacson where he points out that even with Israeli invasions into Gaza; the West Bank has stayed peaceful. The reason he explains is the Palestine gdp growth rate of near 8%. I like this solution; to we invest in the West Bank with technology firms. I hope this provides a reason for Netanyahu to give. It will benefit everyone including him.