More Timely Than Ever!

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Beth A. Hoffman, 1950-2008

I am saddened to announce that my longtime colleague and Freeman managing editor, Beth A. Hoffman, passed away Monday at the age of 58. Beth, who joined the FEE staff over 30 years ago, was beloved by the Foundation’s many friends and supporters. She worked tirelessly and ably in a variety of capacities, including the editing of books and other materials. But her great love was The Freeman, which she served as managing editor for many years. While her important work was behind the scenes, it was not unheralded. She was a true champion of liberty whose contributions were many and long-lasting.

We will miss her.

She is survived by her husband, Peter, and son, Ted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I will miss her terribly. My association with her goes back thirty years, to my first article in The Freeman. Over the years, we became not simply associates in contributing to the production of the magazine, but good friends as well. Beth often sent me little pieces of poetry, references to especially good or bad writing, and tips I might find helpful in my research. We both loved the English language, and she shared my great interest in its use and misuse. She was also a person of unflagging kindness, even under pressure. And, of course, as everybody soon came to appreciate, Beth was extremely reliable and competent in her work--traits that are anything but universal in our workaday world.

I have lived long enough to know that there is no rhyme or reason in the timing of people's deaths. The grim reaper seems to relish acting randomly, and if we look for any justice in this realm, we are sure to be disappointed. Nevertheless, I am sorely tempted to rage against heaven for the fate that brought this untimely death.

RIP, dear Beth, RIP.

Anonymous said...

Beth was a wonderful person and a good friend. I will miss her as will all of her friends at FEE. I've known Beth for over 20 years since I first attended a seminar at FEE and later wrote an article for the Freeman. She was a solid pillar at FEE and will be missed. My condolences to her family and friends.

Anonymous said...

my condolences to her family. I'm sure she will be missed.