Available Now! (click cover)

America's Counter-Revolution
The Constitution Revisited

From the back cover:

This book challenges the assumption that the Constitution was a landmark in the struggle for liberty. Instead, Sheldon Richman argues, it was the product of a counter-revolution, a setback for the radicalism represented by America’s break with the British empire. Drawing on careful, credible historical scholarship and contemporary political analysis, Richman suggests that this counter-revolution was the work of conservatives who sought a nation of “power, consequence, and grandeur.” America’s Counter-Revolution makes a persuasive case that the Constitution was a victory not for liberty but for the agendas and interests of a militaristic, aristocratic, privilege-seeking ruling class.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Aristotle and Standup Comedy




How many comedians have one-liners about Aristotle? The only one I know of is the incomparable Shelley Berman (official site here), from whom I learned much in my youth:
Some people say Aristotle died in Chalcis, Euboea. I think Aristotle died of Chalcis Euboea.


Berman these days plays Larry David's father on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Classic Berman is here.

2 comments:

Kevin Carson said...

Larry David must have been the main reason Seinfeld was so funny, because I never thought Jerry Seinfeld's standup act ever went beyond mildly amusing. I got my fill of jokes about airline peanuts and what happened to socks in the dryer back in the '80s watching Evening at the Improv.

Sheldon Richman said...

I like Seinfeld's standup, but I agree about Larry David, Kevin. Curb Your Enthusiasm is very funny.