More Timely Than Ever!

Monday, March 28, 2011

Geraldine Ferraro: For the Record

Geraldine Ferraro was not the first woman nominated for vice president to win an electoral vote (or, Joe Lieberman, the first Jewish person to be such). That distinction goes to Toni Nathan, who was on the 1972 ticket of the Libertarian Party. The LP ticket of John Hospers and Nathan won a Virginia electoral vote when Roger MacBride, a Nixon elector, broke ranks and voted for them in that state's electoral college balloting. MacBride went on to head the ticket in 1976.

2 comments:

N. Joseph Potts said...

I guess Nathan was female AND Jewish? Until that occurred to me, I was sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I campaigned for McGovern in 1972, not that I am now, or ever have been, a member of the Democratic Party.

Chris Sullivan said...

I have the satisfaction of having voted for MacBride. I knew lots of people that would have voted for him, but they were worried that Carter would be elected.
As it turned out, they "wasted their vote" on Ford.
Never vote the lesser evil.